Dear all international students,
The Dragon Boat Festival falls on June 14,2021(Monday).Holiday will be from June 12 to June 14,3 days in total.The students of 2018 batch，2019 batch and 2020 batch shall follow the course teacher's class arrangement during the holiday. 2017 batch students and internship students shall follow the original class and internship schedule.Take care and keep safe!
Reminders & Tips
1. COVID-19 pandemic has not been over yet，and some places of China have become medium-high risk areas. During the special period of pandemic, international students are not allowed to go out of Ningbo without permission. If there is special circumstances, please let Suki know in advance.
2. Please do self-protection，and avoid unnecessary going out; Do not gather and accommodate people from other cities; Please wear mask when you go to public places.
3. Use all the appliances and kitchen wares in the right way, turn off the power after you leave,avoid electric shock or other incidents happening.
4. Abide by regulations and laws,do not organize or involve in illegal activities. Abide by traffic regulations and laws. Do not drive without a valid license. Illegal employment is strictly prohibited.
5. Any question, please contact Suki in time.
Legend about Chinese Dragon Boat Festival
Dragon Boat Festival can be traced back to 2000 years ago and there’re many legends about this festival, among which the most famous one is about commemorating Qu Yuan, a notable minister and patriot poet during the Spring and Autumn Periods.
Qu Yuan was an important minister during the Spring and Autumn Periods in the Chu State, which was located in today’s Hubei Province in Central China. During his life he strongly advocated recommending talents from all social levels, enriching the country and building up the military forces.
However, his advocates were strongly rejected by members of aristocracy as it would destroy their benefits. Then Qu Yuan was forced to resign and was banished to the remote area of the country, which was the time when he wrote a lot of famous poems to express his loving for the Chu State.
In B.C 278, the capital of Chu State was captured by the Qin Army. Qu Yuan was so grieved that he committed suicide by jumping into the Miluo River after hearing the news on the fifth of the fifth lunar month. Locals were very sad about the death of their respectable poet and state official. Every year on this day people would commemorate him spontaneously.
Top customs about Chinese Dragon Boat Festival
Dragon Boat Racing
The origin of the activity is said that in ancient time, when Qu Yuan drowned himself into the river, many fishermen rode their boats on the river, trying to find his body. They tried their best to catch up with the revered minister, but when they reached Dongting Lake, Qu Yuan's body could no longer be found. Every year later locals would ride dragon boats for commemorating Qu Yuan, hoping to disperse creatures under the river in this way.
Eating rice dumplings( Zongzi)
After Qu Yuan committed suicide in Miluo River, fishermen tried hard to find his body but failed. Some locals threw rice rolls, eggs and meat into the river to feed creatures under the river, hoping they wouldn’t eat the body of Qu Yuan. Years later people used leaves to roll the rice rolls and tightened them with colorful threads, which is known as Zongzi .
Hanging calamus and Chinese mugwort
Hanging calamus, the aromatic underground stem of the sweet flag herb, and Chinese mugwort is an important activity during the Dragon Boat Festival.The 2 elements are said to be effective in warding off disease, doing among other things keeping insects away and purifying the air.